Sunday, May 11, 2008

A new leaf

Thanks all for your comments on my last post. It's good to know I'm not the only loony out there :-)

I'm going to make a real effort to improve my lifestyle generally over the next few months, and to work on making mySELF fitter and faster instead of just being bitter that P's getting fitter and faster.

So, as suggested by various awesome Kiwi commenters last week, I've started logging my workouts on Buckeye Outdoors. I've also started seeing a PT, who's key job is not to get me fitter and faster, but to get me hotter and buffer for a certain fabulous dress. But I'll be getting stronger on the way, which can only help.

I'm doing as many of P's planned half IM workouts with him as I can. We're loving doing our long runs and short rides together, and we've spent hours and hours on the trails and hills around town over the past few weeks. I've especially loved our pre-work long runs; 1:50 around Karori, Wadestown and Northland last Thursday, and 1:20ish around Ngaio the Friday before. We also spent a blissful morning cruising around Martinborough (heading out towards Gladstone) on Anzac Sundays (on bikes). I'm learning a lot of P's TI work, now that I'm being a little less bratty and actually listening to him. Today during our 2k swim (my first in AAAGES and it felt amazing!) we worked on my stroke and I actually improved.

P did a duathlon this morning (he was awesome, and so foxy- I can't believe he's mine), and took awhile for this Brave New Attitude to catch up to me. I saw all these buff people with teeny thighs and felt for the first time in ages like I wasn't good enough to join in. Like I was too big and slow to even try. Then I watched the actual race and remembered that I CAN do it, and even if I only do the short course in June, I WILL do it (PIP- join me???). And by the time we get to the Fathers' Day special on our last September 7th anniversary (our third), I'll be kicking the butt of the medium course and looking forward to the long one. And who knows, maybe my tree trunks will be looking more like saplings by then!

We're also working on our diets, and P is loving actually planning and eating real food. It's all elementary stuff, but it's easy to lose sight of when you're a busy yuppie, especially when you're coming home hungry from an evening workout. So we're focussing on Sunday planning again, choosing meals from the (WONDERFUL, INVALUABLE) Heathy Food Guide, grocery shopping, making a hearty Sunday night meal to start us off on the right foot and pre-preparing as much as possible for the week ahead. I'm trying to return to Low-GI ways, and working on my iron.

So, here's to a new leaf. Tonight it's a spinach one ;)

5 comments:

Pip said...

Er, did someone mention my name? Something about a short course duathlon? Er, I was still stuck dealing with my envy about the long rides around Martinborough!

But, seeing as you mentioned it, sure - why not? Count me in!

I haven't been on Lola since the Grape Ride. My very short ride around Stratford with Mum (and puncture) didn't really count!

Sass said...

Argh Kate, what have you done?! Now Pip's trying to rope me into doing that duathlon!!;p

Pip said...

Haha, she knows she wants to!

Rachel H. said...

I love Sunday planning...It's the most important part of my week, because it helps me to focus on what I'm going to eat, and it helps us to stay on our "diet".

E-Speed said...

glad you are feeling better about the whole finacee being a tri geek too now thing. I find it hard to imagine my husband ever falling into that category but I am sure if he all of a sudden began kicking my ass in 5ks or something I would definitely be a brat about it :)

Good luck with the trainer. I am sure you will be in perfect wedding dress shape in no time!