Friday, January 19, 2007

Long Run #1 (official)

Total distance: 11.43 mi

Total time: 1:46:04

Av pace: 9:16

Goal pace: 9:54

Av HR: 160



To try to get a better idea of where I'm at, I planned another mostly flat. Mostly flat, that is, apart from the 1.5 mi of downhill at the beginning, and the 2 miles of uphill at the end (gradual at first, steep for most of the last mile or so). I ran a solid pace of about 9:00 for the flat part, keeping my average HR at 155, but the hill slowed me down big time. I am surprised I slowed as much as I did (to over 10s), especially given that my HR increased to an overall average of about 160 from that point! I guess that's what a big hill at the end of a long run does, but I'd never really had the data before. So, all in all, my first week of doing FIRST properly has been a great success. I am feeling like this marathon is not so far beyond my reach, though I know not every week will be like this one, and I have a long way to go (I can barely imagine myself running 15 miles at the moment, let alone running 26.2!)

The other exciting thing about this run? It was my first ever long before work run and my first pre-5am wake up (other than for races). I guess I really am a triathlete now ;-) I woke up at 4:40, had coffee and some bircher, grabbed some water and set off. I loved it- will definitely consider doing more long weekday runs. Right- off to treat myself to a smoothie, just wanted to post this run before the weekend!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! And fab pace!

Anonymous said...

Great job! And fab pace!

Anonymous said...

Yea! I still think you are speed DEMON! What a nice pace, and I can vouch for hills. They make my heart rate go up and down like a yo-yo. Nicely done!!

Anonymous said...

Great job, nothing like a pre 5am long run to get the day off to a great start.

Trisaratops said...

Wow! 4:40am...I haven't seen that time in a while! Way to kick some arse before most people even rolled outta the covers! :)

Anonymous said...

good job on getting out early. i'm definitely not a morning runner.

Anonymous said...

good job on getting out early. i'm definitely not a morning runner.

Anonymous said...

Great pace! Nice work on the very early start!

Sarah said...

Good job!! 4:40? I'm impressed... :)
ps- yes, my MIL does rock, I feel so lucky!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice pace! You are crazy fast!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great run! I get behind on my blogging for a few weeks and you become a speedster! Awesome

Jodi

Kenz said...

Reading your blog drifts me away to another world... maybe of me one day in the future when I could run that far! You kick ass girl :) Well done.

Rachel said...

Great run. Great pace. I love runs like that.

runliarun said...

I imagine I can do 15 miles at a time (my longest run was 14). I cannot quite imagine 26, but I have to, in order to get there. I cannot imagine getting there by April though. Your drive is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Great run! I think my hr at that pace would be 185!

I'm not a morning person, but there's something be be said about getting in a run, showering and eating before most people climb out of bed!

Anonymous said...

great run, nice job..keep up the great work!!