Sunday, October 01, 2006

Swimnesia?

Yes, yes. I'm a regular posting machine today. We've been very lazy. Hopefully I will get home at a reasonable hour tomorrow, as I have HEAPS of housework to catch up on. But I hate doing housework at 9:30pm, so I won't.

Anyway, went to Sunday swimming. I was really tired and didn't know if anyone would be there, so planned myself a 1k workout and decided I could do some pool running or just have a sauna if I got sick of it. But no- I did 3k, for the first time EVER! And it was just sooo easy to keep going back and forth, back and forth. I really like basing my workouts on sets of 300- it flies by. That's where swimnesia comes in. I know what I did for the first 1200m, and I remember counting from 1200-1500, and from 1500-2000 (300 + 200 recovery). I remember that somewhere along the way I did some 100s (on the 2:20... an improvement for me, embarrassingly enough) and that I did some speedwork of 1 x breast, 1 x fast (or slow, which I was today). I know that I kept on pinching myself and counting back the sets to see if I'd really done what I thought I'd done. I know that I didn't need anywhere near as many breaths to finish a lap. But as soon as I got out of the water, I couldn't for the life of me trace my workout backwards. This happens to me all the time- I keep careful count during the workout, and then it all just leaves when I go out. That's ok when I'm counting lap by lap (like I sort of used to sometimes), but when almost all my sets are 300s? Ah well. I trust myself, and I know I did 3k.

I'm feeling very happy about that workout. It wasn't fast, but it was consistent, and the duration was entirely doable. I felt strong, not sluggish and it was a great way to relax after the non-race this morning.

This week, Sat-Fri, is the last week of the Scottish Harriers women's exercise challenge. I wasn't as involved in Scottish this year as I was last year, but I am planning to get involved again- either over summer or next year. Anyway, my goal for the challenge was to get over 7-days (as in 168 hours) of exercise in over the season (we had a choice of 3-days or 7-days). It's only a 7-hour week average, but with vacations, and overtraining, and moving, and massive work weeks, I am happy to have met my goal. I met it last week, or the week before, so everything since then has been bonus. Yay!

AND I (probably) have Friday off work for NO reason (well, we're moving offices) YAY. Bring on the spa at the gym, a relaxed lifting session, a loong WEEKDAY bike ride. Hopefully I won't be working 14 hour days to make up for it! (knock wood!)

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Oh, I love swimming. I'd be hard pressed to get in 3000 yards on my own, but with the team it flies by. I am terrible at keeping count too. Even if it's written on the board! I have to count and recount... Embarrassing!

:)

Jodi