Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Time trial..

I warmed up for my time trial today by jogging to the track and trying to keep my HR between 146 and 156 (my target HR based on Maffetone's formula). It was surprisingly easy, and I spent less than 2 mins out of zone in total, which I was happy with. It was about 3.2 miles and I did it in under 30- that's all I know, but not a bad effort at my target zone.

The time trial was less successful. I took off too fast (waaaay too fast) and was gasping before I was halfway round the first lap. I'd never run on the track before and I didn't really know how to get the right pace. I *think* I did about 1400m in the 6 minutes. Not quite what I had planned, but there's room for improvement and I think it's a reasonable indicator of where I am for training purposes.

P and I decided it was too gorgeous and sunny to go home and cook (plus we had errands to run and wouldn't have been home until after 8 anyway) so we got some woodfired pizza , salad and strawberries and sat on the grass. Ah.. I love summer.

PS: For Aleks- this is the view from my house of my run on Saturday:



We ran from our place down the hill and along the coastline past the airport in this pic. In the second pic you can see the trail we ran along, and the coastline you follow back round towards our place.

9 comments:

Wes said...

What a lovely place to live. Thanks Aleks!

Jodi said...

Beautiful pics!

I am jealous of your pace under 156 BPM. That's the top of my zone 2 and I'm always slogging along at slower than 10 min/mile pace.

Jodi

Kate said...

I'm not sure what my more scientifically calculated base would be- probably lower, but I'll take Maffetone for the time being!

Aleks said...

Oh my goodness... it looks absolutely amazing! I'm looking out the window at snow (it never snows in Seattle), I would trade any day!

Ellie80 said...

that is gorgeous! nice running too - i need to look into this heart rate business. i also need to learn what miles are in km's so I can make intelligent sounding comments :)

walchka said...

Now that's a view!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

What a beautiful view!!

The track takes a little getting used to. When I first started, I used to always start out to fast and then end up dragging through my last few intervals. And then one day I realized it was always better to start a little too slow than a little too fast. You'll figure it out...keep at it!

Trisaratops said...

OK--I'm officially REALLY jealous of you. Those are some amazing pics!

Rachel said...

Beautiful pics. Sounds like a great training run. I love track workouts. They're killer for pacing.