Friday, November 04, 2011

"Swim tag" or "how soon can you lap Kate?"

Today at swimming (...where I did 1700m- woot!), I invented a sweet new workout game I like to call "swim tag", or, as I introduced it to Phil, "how soon can you lap Kate?"*

It worked really well for us, and I thought it would be a fun training game for anyone who trains with a speedster!

What you need:
- two swimmers, one fastish, one slowish
- one pool, preferably not too busy

What you do:
- fastish swimmer starts first, slowish swimmer jumps on his or her heels
- both swimmers keep swimming until fastish swimmer catches slowish swimmer's feet

Repeat as desired. 

We "played" twice- the first time, Phil lapped me at my 300 (his 350). The second time he upped his game and caught me at 275 (he also got brainy and took off really fast on the first 25 so I couldn't hold on).  It meant that Phil was motivated to put some effort it for a decent interval, and that I was motivated to just keep going (pregnant Kate tends to swim shorter intervals), and it was a great way to get 600+ metres in.


*I say invented, but I'm going to guess I'm not the first person to "invent" this one.  But for now, let me enjoy it, OK?

2 comments:

Casie said...

Heh, I play this with a friend any time we can hog a lane to ourselves. The advantage being that he doesn't incite lane rage in me. I struggle to swim 1700m without being pregnant. You're doing awesome.

HotpotatoKate said...

The benefit about living in the middle of nowhere is we get a lane of our own fairly often- we are quite spoilt!