Thursday, January 25, 2007

Awesome...

6 x 500 at the pool the other night, sharing a veery wide lane with one speedy dude and another speedster in the lane next door. Aside from the enjoyable view of tanned, toned bodies in the tight trunks under the water (you've got to do something to pass the time, right?), it was fun to try to keep up as much as possible and not get passed too often.

So when I took a break between set 2 and set 3, and the hottie in the next lane called out "Come on! I'm trying to keep up with you!" I felt pretty darn good. My next 500 was the fastest of the lot and it wasn't until at least lap 14 that I started questioning myself, eventually concluding that if it wasn't sarcastic it must have been patronising...

Anyway, on a training update note:

Key runs 1 and 2 of week 14 (to go) went well. #1 was my tempo run on Monday while P du'd. It wasn't quite 5 miles (probably more like 4) as I wanted to be back for him on his bike, but I'm ok with that. P did my speedwork with me on Weds, and all 6 800s were run between 6:55 and about 7:08 pace (slightly under my target of 7:15) (for Ellie- 4:20 and 4:30 min/k). We actually did what I did last time, which was run for 3:40 efforts, and take pace from the 500m markers, so rather than running 800m in 3:27 our fastest rep would actually have been more like 850m in 3:40. However, this approximation plan is the only way I can do my speedwork outside in the morning, and I'd rather be inaccurate outside than accurate on the t/mill at this stage. I may do some work on the t/mill later on, to make sure I'm on target. Key run 3 (a nice slow 12 miles) will probably be on Sunday, as I have my ocean swim on Sat. Soo nervous and excited. Can't believe I've signed up to drink saltwater non-stop for 2800m!

A (talented but not all that obsessive) triathlete friend of ours has decided to run Rotorua. I've recommended FIRST to her, so it'll be interesting to see how she finds it. She lives nearby, so I may be able to stop dragging P out for speedwork. I'm buzzing with that great feeling of inspiring or helping someone. Yay! Am getting the same feeling from talking to my little sis about our family tri in April. R, Mum and I are doing the team event (4k run for me. Sahweet!) and J is doing the whole shebang. Yay! We're actually hoping that J will be able to take on Mum and R and that we will be able to run together. She wants to stay below 5:30min/k for the run leg, and I know she can do it but that the added motivation will help also, I would love to cross the finish line together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You women are E-V-I-L :-) 2800m salt water swim eh? That's killer. How do you determine your distances? Very nice on the family tri! Sounds like a blast.

Anonymous said...

No nice tan bodies for me to gaze at in the pool these days - mostly hairy, old and pasty white! : )

You are a speedy one for sure!

Anonymous said...

Jealous of your "enjoyable view of tanned, toned bodies in the tight trunks" Why isn't there anyone like that at my pool?

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job on the swimming!!

Anonymous said...

hehe almost tempted to take up swimming after reading that ;)

TJ said...

salt water swim....i'm jealous.
have fun!

Anonymous said...

Rotarua = Zorbing.

I loved Rotarua!

Enjoy your swim in the sea!