Saturday, January 06, 2007

A break from reminiscing..

..to discuss all that training yada yada.

Today I began my Official Marathon Training. I spent the morning thinking about a training plan (I had done some thinking already but hadn't quite decided) and eventually decided on FIRST. On tap for today was a 9-miler, so I planned out a cool new route (which I accidentally navigated away from before I saved it), squeezed into my new Skins, added an ipod and headed out.

The route I planned was probably a bit hard for a first official "long" run. It took in some quite exposed places on a VERY windy day, and included a pretty steep uphill that's over a mile long. I was feeling pretty average and my HR showed it- my average was 162!! AND I only just made it home within 1:30 (10min/m average). I'm feeling a tad concerned about an April 28 marathon, but I've reminded myself that the point on training is to get BETTER so I'm hardly going to be ready now. Also, getting used to the "finishing is success" mindset- tough considering that my marathon training originally started when an unofficial BQ was a potentially achievable goal!

Later this afternoon I went for a very good 2000m swim. I evenly split my first 2 sets of 500m (10:30) and negatively split the last set of easy/medium/hard 50s (the first two were 1:03/58/55 and the last was 59/57/53!) I beat my old PB 25m time (hit 22 for the first time ever) and for the first time felt that I was keeping reasonably good form during speedwork. YAY

I am planning to swim every workout day (6 per week) for the next week, until I start back at work, as the Capital Classic is in exactly 3 weeks! Some of these will be sea swims, probably either 750 or 1500m, so they won't be particularly taxing, so I will be adding some strength work, running and maybe cycling too. I still have a sprint tri this month and possibly an Oly in Feb, so need to keep up with the biking. Plus, it's a great way to spend fabulous quality time with P (we are finally riding together well!) It is also hopefully a good way to get rid of the SIX extra pounds of FAT that have crept (ok, not so much "crept") on over the holiday/vacation period. That and a massive reduction in sugar and deep fried food. Repeat after me: "Chocolate is not a breakfast food." Overall I want to lose 10 lb, and have a racing weight of 129. Obviously, if I manage to put some muscle on, I will be comfortable with a higher weight (low 130s) but I definitely have a LOT of fat I need to lose (so don't look too closely at those bikini pics.. PLEASE.. except for the ones where my arms look nice and defined. Look at those.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's some great training planned...and your new 25m PR rocks!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to following your training, FIRST is a good one, and it's creator we know so if you ever get frustrated and need me to tell him so let me know lol.

Anonymous said...

Really nice! Get that game face on and have fun!! I found my pool, so I may have a few questions for ya regarding swimming. And those 6 extra pounds?!? I'm sure its all muscle in the arm used to lift your glass and the leg muscles used to lift yourself off the coach :-) Now you need to make'em lean. 10 minute miles is a nice run, and a heart rate of 162 would be in my anaerobic zone.

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't find 10 pounds that you could lose- you look great!

Good job on your swims. The nice thing about swimming is that you can do it 6 days in a row without worrying about injury. Isn't it great??

:-)

Jodi