Friday, February 23, 2007

Long and hilly run

This morning I got up at 4:30, ate creamed rice (ew- but good energy, and easy to eat), drank coffee and headed out on this run. I had originally measured the run as 13.83 mi, but I wanted to see how much difference it would make if I did it properly instead of cutting corners- crazy that it's exactly 14 miles, though I'd kinda hoped it would work out at 14.2 or something!

I had written mile splits on my hand, and was a bit gutted to see how badly my pace was. It wasn't just the RPE that was of some concern, but the RPP(ace)! I honestly felt like I was moving fast, not just working hard, but I was struggling to reach each mile landmark at 10 min pace. My goal pace for this run was 9:39.

However, in many ways this was one of my best training runs. I ran through boring areas, in the dark, by myself, when I was already tired. I ran over undulating hills, as well as a loong (3 mile) gradual climb, and a shorter (but still long- over a mile) and steeper climb at the end. I ran long, steep downhills, which I hate. Here's the elevation profile:


I also learned that when you're tired, another nasty hill is not *that* bad- it hurts on the flat, it just hurts more on the hill. I hope I remember the feeling I had today when I face the last hill at Rotorua (sort of steep, sort of long, a little past the 20 mile mark, I think). Again- no room for disappointment. Eye on that prize.

One more thing- should I do a mid-March half? There are a couple, not too far off. I'm not sure if I want to set myself up for disappointment, but I would like an idea of where I'm at.

Stats: 14 miles, 2:17, 9:49 average pace. My 7 mile splits were about even, which is cool, given that the big hills were 6-9 and 12-13(ish).

7 comments:

Wes said...

Wow, that's a hilly run. I kind of like those for training :-) People kind of mentioned I trained slow, and the hills are why!! I love that map too by the way. It's cool to get to see where you train. A half marathon three to four weeks out can be a good thing, if it fits into your plan. I just read a race report from a marathoner did just that, and enjoyed it.

TJ said...

sounds like you had a great run.
i just skipped a half mary KNOWING my competitive nature would kick in and i'd go too hard. go for it if you can keep it under control and use it as a training boost.

JenC said...

Sounds like you had a great run and it will pay off at the marathon. Doing a tune-up half is never a bad idea.

Steve Stenzel said...

WELL DONE on those hills!

Eye on the prize...

Jodi said...

Mental toughness is so important. We need the bad days, the bad weeks, so that when the going gets tough on race day we know what to do. Great job getting through those hills!

Jodi

TriShannon said...

Way to work it out! The effort you are putting in now will certainly pay off at the marathon!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

That sounds great for such a hilly run!
Jenny